The following is a recipe from Kimberly Aguilar, the second winner in our Healthy Holiday Recipe Contest.
Giving Thanks Roasted Veggie Soup
When the weather turns chilly my family loves a warm cup-o-soup. I accidentally discovered this soup when I had some leftover veggie kabobs and some leftover turkey broth. While it works with any type of broth my family loves this soup made with turkey broth.
1 Zucchini cut into 3/8” slices
1 Cucumber cut into 3/8” slices
1 Red Bell Pepper cut into 1” pieces
1 Small Red Onion wedge cut into 1” pieces
2 Celery sticks cut into 1” pieces
½ lb whole Mushrooms
1 c. Broccoli flowerets
3-4 Roma Tomatoes (roast whole then cut)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Fajita Seasoning
3 Cups Turkey broth (can substitute chicken)
4 Pop & Cook flavor Cubes – [1 frozen cube of each flavor: Garlic, Cilantro, Basil, Mild Chili]
Sea Salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425* F. and then foil line 2 sheet pans. This makes cleanup much easier.
2. Wash the vegetables then slice/cut into bite size pieces. Place veggies on one sheet pan and then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle on the seasoning. Rub to coat evenly and then sprinkle on the Fajita Season. Coat as evenly as possible.
4. Place the Veggies on the kabob skewers (don’t overcrowd) and place the kabobs on the second sheet pan. Bake the kabobs for 20-22 minutes to get the fire/oven roasted look. Do not over bake as you want the veggies slightly crisp and not soft or burnt. Remove when done and let cool slightly.
5. While Veggies are roasting, start pepping the broth. Pour broth into a stock pan. Heat on low/med heat. Now add all of the Pop and Cook Cubes Heat thoroughly. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer. Cover.
6. After veggies slightly cool, cut them into bit size pieces and add to broth. Simmer 5 more minutes then turn off the heat and let rest 2 minutes covered. Season with the sea salt to taste. Serve and enjoy.
Serving size: 1 cup
Makes: 6-8 servings
This is a great appetizer on Thanksgiving day or a light meal any day.